Tuesday, May 25, 2010

the return of the garden jugger-whatzamacallszit

Yeah, I was back in the garden this past weekend. I finished planting most of the north garden (all that it is missing are some bean and okra plants, which I am currently trying to grow). I then WEEDed out the entire east garden (near the back fence), loosened up the soil in the two areas around the grape vines (not really double-dug it, but just loosened the top 6 inches or so and worked in some compost and organic fertilizer). I then realized that on the right side, I have enough room for 2 "plots" that are about 4' x 7' or so. So now I three plots total in the east garden.

first plot i planted my corn (golden bantam). i plan to also plant bean plants and charantais melon from my seeds.

second plot i planted squash zucchini (two veggies in one???) and japanese cukes. (more bean plants to be planted here).

third plot...i haven't planted anything in this one just because i never planned on having that extra space. not sure yet what I want there...suggestions? this area is near the almond tree.

all the plants I planted have been bought from nurseries - mostly small local nurseries...I just don't have the patience any more after watching my first batch of seeds being started in mid february (which i gave away). :-/ i do have some zucchini, beans, melon, and okra seeds that i am trying to grow, but only because they grow rather quickly.

am i going to continue to have this boost of energy going for this coming weekend? I still have the entire south garden to weed out, double dig/loosen up and ammend, and plant. what am i planning to plant there? i don't actually plan to plant any veggies there...probably a cover crop and some flowers that attract beneficials. maybe i'll use it for late summer planting of broccoli.

still lots to do, but i got at least 2/3's of it done!

No comments: