Monday, June 7, 2010

things accomplished...

Just thought I'd keep tabs on what has been done since the weekend...

- WEEDing: baby weeds are starting to sprout, so I am going to keep on top of that.

- Use home-made compost: I top-dressed most of my fruit trees with what I had.

- Harvest: strawberries. I wanted to harvest the two almonds that I have been watching for the past month, but some dirtbag varmints beat me to it! (#*#(!*@)#($!@#$&%*!!!)) sorry, I digress...

- Sluggo: sluggo the suckas!!! *composure* (hey, this stuff works!!)

- Water: well, I usually water seeds every day or every other day and the rest of the veggie plants every 3 - 4 days. I also decided to deeply water my trees.

- Seeds: Since a lot of my bean seeds are old (2 yrs old), I've been only getting about 50% germination. and on top of that, snails have been mowing down a few that I've missed lining with sluggo. ugh! it is so frustrating to put so much love and effort into the germination of seed, and to see all that hard work swiped down by mean snails and slugs! WAH! So, I've been germinating a lot more bean plants. For beans, I usually wrap the seeds in a very damp paper towel, put seeds and paper towel in a shallow container and put it on a slightly sunny windowsill. Roots usually appear in 1 - 2 days, after which I transplant in pots. Beans I am growing - Tendergreen, slenderette, blue lake bush, dragon langerie, royal burgundy, garbanzo, black jet soy bean, shironomai soy bean, and envy soy bean.

- transplant: my corn seedlings were getting too big for the pots that they were in and i also planted 5 corns in one small pot, so I had to separate them out.

- trim: plum tree and almond tree have been getting way out of hand with new growth. I am trying to keep them around 6 feet tall so I can easily handle them and harvest as well. So far so good.

- watch: most of the garden has been planted. so right now its all about enjoying the growth of the garden and waiting for the day of harvesting. i will eventually have to find homes for my seedlings, but Im not worried about that now.

- turn the compost pile: next time will be about 3 weeks or so.

What I need to do in the upcoming week/weekend:

- harvest: garlic. leaves are starting to turn yellow.

- weed: this is a never-ending job of the gardener.

- placement: tomato cages need to be put in place.

- fertilize: everything! last time i fertilized was back in March.

No comments: